It is based on US legislation and more details can be found from Federal Register/Vol. 83, No. 113/Tuesday, June 12, 2018/Rules and Regulations.
This means that the airline has to get approval from US authorities to load plane which is going to some US destination. In practice Finnair has to send basic airwaybill and house airwaybill data to US Customs before buildup process for the flight even started.
If there are any imperfect shipments on board, flight is not allowed to land to US soil. Penalties are so high that Finnair is not capable to transport shipment without totally correct AWB and HAWB information. This means that shipments will be stopped until correct data is available.
According our statistics the highest risk is related to Description of the cargo. Make sure that description is detailed enough! E.g. “garments” is not enough, it should be like; “yellow t-shirts”.
The ACAS data elements:
- Shipper Name and Address – individual name or name of business and a valid street address with city/province, country and postal code
- Consignee Name and Address – individual name or name of business and a valid street address with city/province, country and postal code.
- Cargo Description – generic cargo descriptions should be avoided
- Total Quantity – based on the smallest external packing unit
- Total Weight – total weight of cargo expressed in pounds or kilograms
- Air Waybill Number "